Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Woospace Artist: Burtynsky


Well, I feel kind of bad because Edward Burtynsky is the first artist I have featured that I don't really think makes great work. He's known for oversized prints of fairly bland imagery (in my opinion). However, I am interested in his latest topic: China. Here is a link to view some of his photographs. Warning, I do find this "China project" a little dubious. Anytime, some rich white guy from Ontario (correction) goes to China to take pictures of factory workers, it kind of makes me cringe. But check it out, some of the shots are kind of interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you may want to check your facts...
Ed Burtynsky is from St. Catherines, Ontario in Canada not Santa Barbara. He's known for his large format works examining how man has altered the landscape through industrialization for the last 20 years. While his acclaim has,I'm sure, resulted in financial reward, he's hardly considered to be "some rich white guy."

woobot said...

You're right he is Canadian. But he is still very privledged compared to his subjects, and his intentions don't come through in the work for me. I have a hard time with artists recuperating other people's labor force, economics, etc. As I said, some of the shots are interesting, but mainly becuase of the access he was afforded.